| Make foodmate.com your Homepage | Wap | Archiver
Advanced Top
Search Promotion
Search Promotion
Post New Products
Post New Products
Business Center
Business Center
Current Position:Home » News » Special Foods » Topic

Traditional Chinese dates have grown into premium fruit variety

Zoom in font  Zoom out font Published: 2017-07-19  Views: 11
Core Tip: The production areas of Chinese winter dates are located in the northeast of China, in Shaanxi province.
"The production areas of Chinese winter dates are located in the northeast of China, in Shaanxi province. Dali county in Shaanxi has the main production there. Currently, Dali has a total production area of 40,000 hectares (400,000 mu), and an annual production volume of 600,000 tons," states Mr. Feng from Shenzhen Farm Brothers Agricultural Science and Technology Co Ltd.

"Last year, the market for winter dates flourished, and large profits spurred farmers to expand their production area. Compared to last year, this year's production area increased 5%-8% nationwide. The production value grew by approximately 10%. The current price for winter dates is around 15 yuan per 500 gram. Compared to last year's price of 22 yuan per 500 gram, this is a decrease of 30%."

"The winter date production sites that cooperate with Farm Brothers are located along the shore of the Yellow River, an area with very fertile soil and long lasting light. The quality of the dates that are produced there is very good. Their skin is thin and there is much flesh, they are moist enough and their sweetness level is over 30. The products usually enter the market between June and December. In that period, dates from energy-saving greenhouses enter the market in the beginning of June, dates from greenhouses at the end of July, and the dates that are grown in the open air will enter the market at the end of August or the beginning of September."

"Right now, 80% of our winter dates are sold to large scale Chinese supermarkets, such as Walmart, Yonghui and RT-Mart. For the other 20% we work together with e-commerce platforms. We are now expanding to second and third tier cities in China, and are trying to cooperate with local fruit chain stores there. That way, we do not need an intermediary, which would benefit the distributors and the farmers. Depending on next year's situation, we are also considering to expand abroad."

"Because the production costs, such as labor and fertilizer, are relatively high compared to more popular fruits, like apples and bananas, winter dates are in a higher-end segment. Over the past few years, they have become more and more high end products. We are selling them as a premium product in small packages, like a present."

keywords: dates
[ News search ]  [ ]  [ Notify friends ]  [ Print ]  [ Close ]

0 in all [view all]  Related Comments

Hot Graphics
Hot News
Hot Topics
Powered by Global FoodMate
Message Center(0)