| Make foodmate.com your Homepage | Wap | Archiver
Advanced Top
Search Promotion
Search Promotion
Post New Products
Post New Products
Business Center
Business Center
 
Current Position:Home » News » Marketing & Retail » Food Marketing » Topic

High capsicum prices have Russian's reaching for other veg

Zoom in font  Zoom out font Published: 2017-07-11  Views: 5
Core Tip: The domestic capsicum supply in Russia has been delayed slightly due to the cooler and rainy weather over the last couple of weeks.
The domestic capsicum supply in Russia has been delayed slightly due to the cooler and rainy weather over the last couple of weeks. This means that the country has had to continue importing foreign supplies which, in turn, has brought higher prices that most consumers are not willing to pay.

"It's a difficult market situation in Russia at the moment. The import of sweet Californian peppers has slowed because most consumers are not willing to pay 200 rubles per kilo for capsicums when they can buy tomatoes or cucumbers for much less, around 50," shared a Russian importer.

Red capsicums are the most popular amongst consumers taking up around 80% of the offering, the remaining 20% consists of yellow (15%) and green (5%). Local production replaces the Californian sweet peppers with a different type of slightly pointed peppers, referred to as Bulgarian capsicums, dating back to the Soviet days when Bulgaria was the main supplier. Although consumers prefer to buy the red varieties, they are virtually absent in the open field production, which is dominated by white capsicums.

"This situation should improve in the next week or two, once the domestic open field capsicums enter the market. I think that sales should improve again once this happens because the price of domestic capsicums is a lot lower than the expensive imports." concludes the importer.

Depending on the weather, the domestic season should be starting at any time and run through to the middle/end of September.

 
keywords: capsicum
 
[ News search ]  [ ]  [ Notify friends ]  [ Print ]  [ Close ]

 
 
0 in all [view all]  Related Comments

 
Hot Graphics
Hot News
Hot Topics
 
 
Powered by Global FoodMate
Message Center(0)