• 500g veal mince
• 500g pork mince
• 1 onion, grated
• 1 lemon, rind finely grated, juiced
• 1 cup fresh white breadcrumbs
• 1/3 cup basil leaves, finely chopped
• 2 x 400g cans diced Italian tomatoes
• 1 cup chicken stock
• cooked pasta and extra basil, to serve
1. Combine veal and pork mince, onion, lemon rind, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, breadcrumbs, basil and salt and pepper in a large bowl. Roll tablespoonfuls of mince mixture into balls. Place meatballs on a tray lined with baking paper. Cover and refrigerate for 15 minutes or until firm.
2. Combine tomatoes and stock in a deep frying pan. Bring slowly to the boil over medium heat. Drop meatballs into tomato mixture. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 25 to 30 minutes or until meatballs are cooked through.
3. Place pasta in bowls. Spoon over meatballs. Top with extra basil and serve.